The O.P. » Reference » Episode Guide » Season Two
Jump to: References | Image Gallery | Quotes
- Broadcast 215
- Production 217
This episode is ranked 18th by readers.
/ Average: 4.46 (413 votes)
G.O.B. and Buster team up for some magic tricks with the help of Buster’s fake hand, but when Tony Wonder, a rival magician, starts to mentor them, somebody gets the finger. Meanwhile, Michael is forced to delegate some work when he’s hospitalized and Lindsay teaches George Michael how to drive using the staircar.
- The setup for “Ancient Chinese Secret” is similar to the 1970’s Calgon commercial. CONTEXT
- David Blaine
- Tony Wonder pulling things out of his body is a parody of David Blaine pulling organs out of his body.
- dirty ears
- Buster performs the “dirty ears” trick, first performed by G.O.B. on White Power Bill in Key Decisions. CONTEXT
- episode order cutback
- The housing contract cutback is a thinly veiled reference to Fox’s reduction of the season two episode order of Arrested Development. Both were reduced from 22 to 18.
- The laptop showing TonyWonder.com is labelled “GOB GOB” under the screen, and the key to the left of the spacebar is labelled “GOB.”
- Gothic Castle
- G.O.B. and Buster perform at the Gothic Castle, established in Storming the Castle.
- Guns N’ Roses
- Tony Wonder mentions “some band has got the rights to [Use Your Illusion]”; Guns N’ Roses released Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II. CONTEXT
- Tobias wants to take off his assistant’s skirt and put on his Barbra Streisand in The Prince of Tides ass-masking therapist pantsuit.
- Tobias wants to get in the colon and find some answers.
- Tobias calls Michael’s buttocks “fresh and firm as a Georgia peach.”
- lighter fluid
- G.O.B. accidentally squirts Asian Man with lighter fluid when trying to perform his trick, just as he accidentally squirted Sally Sitwell in Burning Love. CONTEXT
- Mission Accomplished banner
- The Bluth Company employees unfurl the Misson Accomplished banner, first seen in The One Where They Build A House.
- newspaper article
- The article on Tony Wonder, “Born and Bread in the USA,” includes the following: “Tony Wonder wows his audience as he emerges from a giant sandwich... with the flair and fanfare of Liberace.... Despite the oohs and ahs of the mean audience there was one disgruntled ex-magician who was seen doing some sort of chicken-type dance at fevered pitch. He was carted off by the police before this reporter was able to interview him but it is the view of the by-standers that it was some sort of protest regarding the use of chicken used by Tony Wonder’s staff.” CONTEXT
- on the next Arrested Development
- “Michael gets a new roommate, and the FBI finds footage more troublesome than they’d originally thought.”
- Osama bin Laden
- George, Sr. (in a turban) making a videotape parallels Osama’s own.
- pop-up advertisements
- Tony Wonder’s website suffering due to its pop-up ads (one for Family Guy is shown) is an indictment of Fox’s pop-up advertising during its shows.
- Dr. Stein is played by the voice of Homer Simpson, Dan Castellaneta, who even gives a quick “D’oh.”
- Tony Wonder’s website
- Even though the banner reads “TonyWonder.com,” the URL in the browser’s location bar reads “razzledazzle.org.”
- Working World
- Maeby is reading Working World (“For people who work”) magazine. Headlines: “How to work with a MOODY BOSS,” “Another Meeting? 10 ways to keep them from being a complete WASTE OF TIME,” “Will the Company Pay for Jury Duty?” and “Handling Interruptions.” CONTEXT
- Alliance of Magicians, Barbra Streisand, booya, Family Guy, Final Countdown, Gobias Industries, graham cracker, soup trick, Star Wars, Subway, Tony Wonder’s website
Tobias: Although, if I may, let me take off my assistant’s skirt and put on my Barbra Streisand in The Prince of Tides ass-masking therapist pantsuit.
/ Average: 4.59 (116 votes)